Myra is ME

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Not what the Dr. prescribed

The airport and the hospital, there is a sense of familiarity and fondness whenever I visit those places. Hospital, only because I have to go regular check-ups for my scoliosis and braces. Other reasons to the hospital are not very welcomed, unless if its a birth of a newborn.

I will walk in the daze, along the clean aisles of the hospital and look at sanitized picture frames of anything beautiful. Flowers, children playing, animals, anything naturistic and pleasant. Sometimes I get so fond of those paintings that I will stop and admire it for awhile longer. I like the 'thank-you' mosaics the same. Most of the wishes were written by children, even though the tiles were hung in the geriatrics ward. ( Maybe thats the reason why they hung it there) I can imagine parents tempting their children with sweets, spice and everything nice, in a hope that they can write something nice for the medics. I also took time to glance at those pamphlets detailing information of diseases and the treatments available for those ailments. In those times, my heart went pouring gratitude to the ruler above for making me one healthy child. And I was glad my parents are fit as fiddles. I shudder at the thought of reading those health warnings when I need them. So I delight myself in reading them while I am healthy and pink.

Next stop. Canteen. This is usually the wonderful, enticing experience. I recalled those times where my mum and I will be stuck in the Old Changi Hospital for very long hours, and she couldnt afford little snacks to keep me from crying. I love her. The conditions there were poor, with flies all over, and I recalled the strong smell of medicine and trees. Yea, trees. So my mum's and my tummy will be empty from the time we reach the hospital till the time we reach home, whereby she will prepare lunch. Things are different now. One day my mum insisted she follow me for my orthodontist appointment at Alexander's. It was a nostalgic one..My late grandmother spent some time before succumbing to diabetes. As soon as I brought her to the canteen, I knew that light in her eyes. Things have really change. I offered my mum to pick any meal she likes. "Its on me", I gestured. My shy mum mumbled," Apa nak makan ni? Banyaknya makanan. Pilihlah Myra" I knew she was really excited. She doesnt go out that often, hence things which are typically commonplace to us, are unique and pleasing to her. There was Young Tau Foo, Nasi Padang, Ban Mian, Mee Hongkong, even delectable deserts! How to choose? Hahaha, its funny to watch my mum wonder in bewilderment. The nice thing was the canteen was enclosed and air-conditioned. Everything was perfectly clean and proper. There wasnt much of a crowd and the variety of food was wide. Fancy having a cup of coffee after our hearty meal. Great place.

Sometimes, going to the Dr set my mind at ease. Polite nurses, (I cant say the same for the Dr.) and good (though sick) company. The tears and cries of sick babies got me reminded of the times my younger siblings were growing up. Playful laughters of toddlers too. Big brothers and big sisters watching over their younger siblings were my objects of reminiscence, while stoic looking parents made me look of myself twice. Sometimes, we should just be happy when we are feeling sad and sick, sometimes we should find company who are more worse off, and sometimes we should just take time off an reflect on life.

The hospital do make me better sometimes, even without presription. Not physically, but mentally. Nice polite people, safe and clean environment and nice ambience can lift up spirits of the sick. I never like visiting the hospital when I hear of news that someone is injured or sick. I don ever want any of my family members get admitted to things like that. But its nice to know that hospitals now have radically changed in the past 40 years to be a safe haven for those vulnerable.

Myra Abd Kadir~ at 08:19

Comments: Post a Comment
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com